1. Internet-of-things (IoT) software and solutions: IoT will be driving new levels of customer insight and engagement for some by 2021, but technology diversity and the need for organizational changes will still stymie or delay many firms.
2. Intelligent agents: Intelligent agents and related robots will have eliminated a net 6% of jobs by 2021.
3. Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR): By 2021, AR will be commonplace, while VR will remain niche.
4. Artificial intelligence (AI) and cognitive technology: Solutions powered by AI/cognitive technology will displace jobs with the biggest impact felt in transportation, logistics, customer service, and consumer services.
5. Hybrid wireless: 5G will be rolling out by 2021, creating a high-bandwidth cellular backbone to support IoT devices. In addition, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will expand their capabilities to support IoT devices.